When it comes to Narrowband filters, no one knows more or does it better than Don Goldman of Astrodon Filters. Narrowband (NB) filters enhance contrast of emission objects by accepting only a narrow range of wavelengths around the emission lines of hydrogen (H-a, 656 nm), oxygen (OIII, 501 nm), sulfur (SII, 672 nm) and others.
Astrodon filters can be used to image when the moon is up, thereby extending imaging time and can be used in light-polluted locations.
The narrow range of wavelengths of Astrodon filters is defined as the FWHM (full-width at half- maximum intensity). Narrower filters decrease the background noise. However, narrower filters are more difficult to manufacture consistently, and are thus more expensive. Furthermore, it is difficult to maintain high transmission through the bandpass of the filter as it becomes narrower. If the peak transmission decreases as the filter is made narrower, the emission signal decreases and the gain in S/N (signal-to-noise) is not realized. Astrodon has achieved this goal of high transmission for narrower filters.
Astrodon has evolved its narrowband product line from 6 nm to 5 nm FWHM, significantly lowered the prices on all filters, and added the ultra-narrow 3 nm FWHM filters for H-a, OIII and SII. We added a Red Continuum filter (645 nm, 5 nm FWHM) that produces a star map without the H-a or SII emission in order to subtract stars from emission images. Astrodon NB filters are renowned for not producing halos around stars and not leaking NIR light.
The 3 nm FWHM filters are stocked and are not custom ordered. The 3 nm OIII filter provides the best protection from the effects of moonlight, producing half the background signal of a 90-percent T, 6 nm FWHM filter, resulting in an increase in S/N of ~21-percent. This will even be larger in comparison to wide 7 or 8 nm FWHM filters.
Most imagers do not realize that their 4.5 – 10 nm FWHM H-a filter for 656.3 nm also includes NII emission at 658.4 nm. These emission lines are so close together that only a filter with 3 nm or less FWHM can readily separate their signals. Professional astronomy papers will state H-a + , signifying that data from both emission lines are combined in the signal. The brackets refer to as a forbidden transition, such as . Many objects are enriched in nitrogen and have emission, such as planetary nebula, Wolf-Rayet bubbles and supernova remnants. The Dumbbell Nebula, M27, is a classic example.
Astrodon Narrowband Filter Features:
- Peak transmission guaranteed >90-percent assuring you of the highest performance.
- Bandwidths of 5 nm for general use and 3 nm for highest contrast, moonlight rejection and light pollution rejection
- > OD 4 (0.01-percent T) out-of-band blocking
- Hard-oxide coatings on clear 1/4-wave substrates go to the edge, eliminating uncoated rims that leak light.
- Sides are blackened to minimize reflections
- 3 nm filters can be used with fast optical systems to f/3 with little signal loss
- Parfocal with all Astrodon filters
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Please inspect the packaging of your item(s) when they arrive, if you notice any damage you should make note of it when signing for delivery. If your item(s) do arrived damaged, please send photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will process an insurance claim on your behalf and refund the item.
Cancellations & Refunds:
All orders cancelled after 48 hours are subject to a $20 administration fee, whether or not your order has shipped. If you order has shipped, you (the buyer) will also be responsible for actual return shipping charges. Refunds will only be issued to the original credit card that you use when placing your order.
Easy Returns...How They Should Be
We stand behind every product we sell and offer a 30 day return policy. If you would like to return your purchase for any reason within 30 days, you will be refunded the purchase price of the product. Because we offer free shipping please be aware that if you return one of these products our actual outbound shipping charges will be deducted from your return refund. All product(s) must be returned in their original condition, including the original packaging, manufacturer's containers, documentation, warranty cards, manuals and all accessories. Otherwise additional charges may be applied or may make your product(s) nonreturnable. Hyperion Astronomy sells products from some manufacturers that are custom made or made-to-order. These products are non-returnable and non-cancelable once the order has been placed and this is notated on the product page for these items.
Products Not Eligible For Return
- Custom orders (i.e. products that are custom made or made-to-order).
- Special purchases including: clearance products, inventory sale products, custom quotes, special discounts, etc.
- Any product that has been assembled, installed, modified or used in any way.
- Any product that is not in resalable condition.
- Any product not accompanied by a Return Merchandise Authorization Number (RMA#) issued by www.little-lona.com
- Any product that is not in the original box with sufficient packaging materials.
Credits will be issued after the warehouse receives, inspects and process' your return, which can take up to 7 Business days. Return shipping charges and re-stocking fees are not refundable. Shipping charges and factory re-stocking fees will be deducted from the total refund amount. You will receive a confirmation email when your return has been processed. Refunds will be credited to the original payment method and can take up to 72 hours to reflect on your statement.
Should you have any questions always feel free to call us at 1-480-493-5089 or email us at email@example.com. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 days to begin the return process. Hyperion Astronomy accepts returns within 30 days for defect in product(s), wrong item received, and change of mind.
We work very hard to ensure that we offer the absolute best prices online. If you find another online store that offers a lower price then us within six months of your purchase date please let us know and we will refund your original payment for the difference. We want you to feel confident that you are getting the absolute best price for the product you are ordering. If you find that our own website has a lower price for the same item you have ordered within six months of your purchase date will refund the difference as well.
To request your partial refund simply e-mail us a link to the same product on our website, or on our competitors website within six months from the date of your order and we will process the credit accordingly.
Our 100% Price Guarantee has some limitations:
- You must purchase the item from our website before requesting your Price Match Guarantee
- Promotions such as rebates and buy one, get one free offers are not eligible
- The item must be in stock on the competitors website
- The competitor must be an online store, they may not have a retail location
- The website can not be a discounter or auction website (ie; eBay, overstock, etc..)
- The competitor must be an Authorized Retailer of the product in question
- The Price Match Guarantee includes the item price and the shipping charges, it excludes sales tax