The Linear Fast Reverse is an innovative telescope mount designed for astronomical imaging and manufactured in Italy by the Avalon Instruments Srl, a company with more than 30 years of experience in the field of high precision mechanics.
Marketed with the Avalon Instruments trademark, this mount ranks in the medium-size mount range with a weight capacity around 20-25 kg (44 – 55 lb), imaging and observing, respectively.
The Liner Fast Reverse project rises from the passion for astronomy and mechanics taking advantage of more than 20 years of experience and testing, lots of star parties and spending countless hours under starry skies, with any types of instrumentation. Since the great majority of the problems regards the mount, both design and manufacture have been focused on realizing a mount such to overcome technical troubles. Let’s start with the mount, which we consider the main innovation, by explaining the reasons why we chose to switch from the traditional worms and gears mechanism to a new transmission system based on pulleys and tooth belts, for both right ascension and declination.
Pulleys and toothed belts, zero backlash!
This choice has allowed to obtain several advantages: a really steady motion without play (no backlash) and sudden peaks, factors of paramount relevance for long guided exposures and during high magnification visual observations. These features are of particular relevance especially for the declination axis motor that can now quickly reverse the motion without breaks to recover the plays: from here the mount name FAST REVERSE. The toothed belts used in the M-uno have the structure made of special material with steel strands to avoid any deformation, elongation and stress, much better than those used in the automotive engine distribution system (which are generally made of rubber with nylon strands). Considering that the service time for the automotive toothed belts is around 100.000 km (60.000 miles), assuming a medium regime of 2.000 rpm and thermal stress from 0 to 90°C (30 to 195 F) in a few minutes, we can think that the life cycle of the Linear toothed belts will be extremely long!
It is important to underline that in the gear-worm systems the motion transmission has only one tangent point of contact, any errors on each of the two components will, sooner or later, result into a tracking errors.
On the other hand, in the pulley-toothed belt system, no direct contact occurs between the pulley and the motion is transmitted by the belt engaging from 50% to 90% of the girth surface. Consequently any error, eventually present, is averaged among the cogs, moreover soft, greatly reducing the tracking error.
These features allow the Linear mount to perform guided exposures up to 20-30 minutes with punctiform stars even with optics of 2-3 meters of focal length (see our suggested PHD2 guide parameters table).
No wear, no frictions!
No wearing effects since no relevant frictions occur. In fact, all the pulleys and the axes rotate on roller bearings, 13 for the RA axis and 13 for the DEC axis that allow to reduce the total friction almost to zero.
Another significant advantage of very low frictions is that the risks of motor slipping during GOTO operation is virtually null.
On the contrary, it is well known the difficulty to regulate the coupling between gear and worm in the conventional mounts. If the coupling is tight the motors can stuck with consequent loss of the position, if the coupling is too loose the plays increase.
On the other hands, the absence of significant play in the M-uno makes the initial calibration of guiding CCD quick and easy.
No lubrifications, no maintenance!
Since there are no gears, there is no need of periodical lubrication of the internal components and therefore the maintenance is extremely reduced and limited to the esternal cleaning.
The Linear mount is specifically designed for mobile astroimagers, with some peculiar features:
- Excellent performances in guided imaging, even with high focal lengths, up to 3 metres
- Simple and original design
- Really portable and lightweight, with its useful handle and a weight of only 12 kg (26,4 lb) , without counterweight and bar
- Payload capacity up to 20 kg (44 lb) in imaging (best choice 15/18 kg , 33/40 lb)High quality manufacturing, all parts are being designed for long lasting use, made of anodized aluminium and stainless steel, directly milling obtained from single blocks thanks to high precision 5 axes CNC machines.
- Reliable and performing
- Easy to use, in both mechanical solutions and as far as the pointing procedure is of concern. For this latter, in fact, the SYNSCAN by Skywatcher has been adopted, one of the most used and reliable in the world, having one of the lowest cost-to-performance ratios, that can be easily and freely updated on the Internet.
- Chinese mounts apart, the LINEAR is the cheapest mount, among those with the same capacity in the whole world.
- Easily suitable to the main commercial tripods, such as Baader AHT, Skywatcher and several others
In short, the Linear Fast Reverse mount is ideal for those travelling astroimagers seeking for long deep sky exposures, even with long focal lengths, by means of an high quality, light, reliable, accurate and easy-use setup, with an excellent quality/performance-to-cost ratio.
- Mount Head with StarGO GoTO control system Bluetooth.
- Polar scope installed in the mount
- Losmandy type dovetail plate for the telescope installation
- Tripod plate and screws for fixing the mount to the tripod.
- Counterweight rod
- 6 kg stainless steel counterweight
- Keypad connecting cable
- Power Supply 15V/4 A
- Warranty Certificate & Testing Certficate
- Metric Allen Wrench key set
- M8 screw for extreme latitudes regulation
- USB flash drive with manuals and software
|Type||Single arm equatorial mount|
|Weight||12 kg (26,4 lb), without counterweight and bar|
|Capacity||20 kg (44 lb) in imaging, 25 kg ( 55 lb) in observing|
||All belts drive system based on four stages reducer.
All the movements are on ball bearings. No maintenance and no backlash system.
Pulleys made with special polymer fiberglass charged and high precision toothed belts.
|Construction Material||Anodized aluminium, worked out from single blocks with high precision 5 axis CNC machines|
|AR Axis||Heavy duty steel, diam. 35mm; 1 x dual ball bearings, diam. 62mm + 1 x roller bearing diam. 72mm + 2 x roller bearing diam. 45mm – On bearings clutch system|
|DEC Axis||Heavy duty steel, diam. 35mm; 1 x dual ball bearings, diam. 62mm + 1 x roller bearing diam. 72mm + 1 x roller bearing diam. 45mm – On bearings clutch system|
|Polar Finder||Skywatcher model (optionally Losmandy model)|
|GOTO system||StarGO GoTo Control System Bluetooth ver.|
|Counterweight bar||Quick release, 30mm diam.(1,181 "), stainless steel bar|
|Counterweight||Stainless steel 6 kg (13,2 lb) counterweight|
|Scope plate||Losmandy, 3" (75mm), dovetail, single knob with 2 tightening points|
|Warranty||2 years from the purchase date, extended to 5 years for the transmission system|
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Please inspect the packaging of your item(s) when they arrive, if you notice any damage you should make note of it when signing for delivery. If your item(s) do arrived damaged, please send photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will process an insurance claim on your behalf and refund the item.
Cancellations & Refunds:
All orders cancelled after 48 hours are subject to a $20 administration fee, whether or not your order has shipped. If you order has shipped, you (the buyer) will also be responsible for actual return shipping charges. Refunds will only be issued to the original credit card that you use when placing your order.
Easy Returns...How They Should Be
We stand behind every product we sell and offer a 30 day return policy. If you would like to return your purchase for any reason within 30 days, you will be refunded the purchase price of the product. Because we offer free shipping please be aware that if you return one of these products our actual outbound shipping charges will be deducted from your return refund. All product(s) must be returned in their original condition, including the original packaging, manufacturer's containers, documentation, warranty cards, manuals and all accessories. Otherwise additional charges may be applied or may make your product(s) nonreturnable. Hyperion Astronomy sells products from some manufacturers that are custom made or made-to-order. These products are non-returnable and non-cancelable once the order has been placed and this is notated on the product page for these items.
Products Not Eligible For Return
- Custom orders (i.e. products that are custom made or made-to-order).
- Special purchases including: clearance products, inventory sale products, custom quotes, special discounts, etc.
- Any product that has been assembled, installed, modified or used in any way.
- Any product that is not in resalable condition.
- Any product not accompanied by a Return Merchandise Authorization Number (RMA#) issued by www.little-lona.com
- Any product that is not in the original box with sufficient packaging materials.
Credits will be issued after the warehouse receives, inspects and process' your return, which can take up to 7 Business days. Return shipping charges and re-stocking fees are not refundable. Shipping charges and factory re-stocking fees will be deducted from the total refund amount. You will receive a confirmation email when your return has been processed. Refunds will be credited to the original payment method and can take up to 72 hours to reflect on your statement.
Should you have any questions always feel free to call us at 1-480-493-5089 or email us at email@example.com. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 days to begin the return process. Hyperion Astronomy accepts returns within 30 days for defect in product(s), wrong item received, and change of mind.
We work very hard to ensure that we offer the absolute best prices online. If you find another online store that offers a lower price then us within six months of your purchase date please let us know and we will refund your original payment for the difference. We want you to feel confident that you are getting the absolute best price for the product you are ordering. If you find that our own website has a lower price for the same item you have ordered within six months of your purchase date will refund the difference as well.
To request your partial refund simply e-mail us a link to the same product on our website, or on our competitors website within six months from the date of your order and we will process the credit accordingly.
Our 100% Price Guarantee has some limitations:
- You must purchase the item from our website before requesting your Price Match Guarantee
- Promotions such as rebates and buy one, get one free offers are not eligible
- The item must be in stock on the competitors website
- The competitor must be an online store, they may not have a retail location
- The website can not be a discounter or auction website (ie; eBay, overstock, etc..)
- The competitor must be an Authorized Retailer of the product in question
- The Price Match Guarantee includes the item price and the shipping charges, it excludes sales tax